Del and Jessie Chavis are from Myrtle Beach SC working with a company that provides Hospitality Supplies. Prior to that Del server in the Military for 1972-1980 in the US Army. Jessie managed a Ann's Restruant in Myrtle Beach. Jessie's Family were Farmers in the early days in Hemmingway, SC.
James Marion Turner (1844-1935) and his wife, Eleanor Toney (1848-1925), were the first persons to own this house. He ran a livery stable and was a merchant and banker. He also operated a sash and door factory in Johnston.
Patience Reames (b 1841), widow of Jefferson Reames, a Johnston blacksmith, ran a boarding house called the Saluda House in this building. When she married William Haltiwanger and moved in 1883, she sold the property.
John Wesley Calhoun (1836-1896) and his wife Almena Mounce (1846-1936)owned ad operated the Saluda House Hotel and the Calhoun Hotel across the street in an earlier building which burned. He also operated a general store and a drugstore.
Lake Middleton Smith (1920-1881) briefly owned the Saluda House, but probably never lived in it.
Preston Layfayette Wright (1847-1898) purchased the property in 1883. He and his family lived in it, then rented it out. Wright was a Johnston clothing merchant. He was married to Octavia Lucretia.
Watson (1852-1897). He and his wife were among the founders of the Johnston Methodist Church in 1878.
W.S. Wells (1851-1893) procured the house in 1891. Wells was a store owner and vice-president of a local bank. He was also active in town politics and served as mayor 1885-1886.
The Johnston Institute operated the property as a dormitory named Rebecca Motte Hall in the mid 1890’s. The boy’s dormitory was across the street in the earlier house which burned.
W.J. Hatcher (1866-1945) and his wife, Carrie (1877-1961), owned the house for most of the first half of the 20th century. He was the town’s first Buick dealer. Mrs. Hatcher was a tireless worker in the First Baptist Church.
Evetta Unger Moyer (1904-1992), wife of Cyril A. Moyer, purchased the house. Mrs. Moyer was a florist, antique dealer and decorator She rented the house for a few years, and in the early 1960’s Cyril Moyer Jr. operated an antique shop here. Cyril’s shop was a “community center” where visitors would catch up on the local gossip. After disastrous fire in 1993, the shop was closed. In the early 1980’s a restaurant called the Century House was operated here by Hilda Smith.
Susan and Bryan Hewston purchased the house in 2000 and lovingly restored it. It was serving as a bed and breakfast known as Isabella’s Retreat.
Del and Jessie Chavis purchased the house in the later part of 2008. February of 2009 the house was damged due to a broken pipe between the floors. Isabella's was completely restored and added even more comforts for our guests. We reopened as Isabella’s Bed and Breakfast.
Copyright © 2010 Isabella's Bed and Breakfast - All Rights Reserved.